When the term sheet metal comes to mind, it is often thought of aluminum or steel sheet since those are the most common forms used. However, sheet metal comes in a variety of materials such as tin, gold, platinum, or silver. It also comes in brass, copper, titanium, and nickel. Sheet Metal Installation in Rhode Island RI is applied and used in many ways throughout the manufacturing and building industries.
Different Ways Sheet Metal is Used
There are many ways sheet metal is applied in today’s world, including some that may not even be recognized.
- In the automotive and airplane industries, vehicles and wings are constructed from sheet metal.
- Sheet metal may be used on buildings as a roofing material to provide better protection from the rain and snow. Ductwork inside of buildings and homes is also made of sheet metal.
- Sheet metal was used in the past centuries as a way to make body armor for men going to war.
- Decorative items such as wall or yard art can be made from sheet metal.
How Sheet Metal is Formed
Sheet metal fabrication is the technique and process to help form sheets of metal for creating different objects and shapes. Any type of product that contains metal has used a form of sheet metal fabrication.
Prior to shaping the sheet metal, the metal must be cut using specific metal cutting tools. When all of the pieces are cut, the process of molding can begin.
Types of Molding
There are many ways that a piece of sheet metal is formed into different shapes. Here are a few of the ways it can be done.
- Bending. Bending is a process where a force is applied to a piece of sheet metal, which causes it to bend at an angle and form the shape desired.
- Roll Forming. Roll forming is a forming process in which sheet metal is shaped through a series of bending operations. The metal is placed on a forming line and fed through a serious of roll stations. Each station has a roller on both sides of the sheet.
Whether repairing an old roof or creating artwork for a business, sheet metal installation in Rhode Island RI is a great way to ensure protection and beauty. For more information on how to use sheet metal, browse our website.